Saturday, June 04, 2011

Book 7: Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce

And now this is why you don't finish books that are boring you. Because you could be reading Cosmic instead.

This was a recommendation from animouse to my husband, who tried it and didn't get into it. Which is a freakin' tragedy and I'm going to lean on him until he reads it. If the ending doesn't make him cry, nothing will. And if he doesn't laugh about a million times while reading it... well, I don't even know.

This is a love letter to dads, in the form of a story narrated by Liam, a 12 year old kid who's so big and scruffy, he's constantly mistaken for an adult. When he gets the chance to have an awesome adventure, for which he has to pretend to be a dad, it's too good to pass up. Liam is probably too young to have read Kurt Vonnegut, who warned us, "we are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be," but he learns the truth of those words. And he learns what it means to be a dad, which sometimes involves doing the hard thing.

It sounds like a book adults will love more than kids, but it's so incredibly funny, I can't imagine anyone not loving it. Except apparently my possibly certifiable husband. * (12 & up)

314 pages

Reading: 2 hours, 26 minutes
Blogging: 10 minutes
Networking: 3 minutes

Labels: , ,

2Bligs:

Anonymous Beth bligged...

We saw this in a Scholastic catalog, but had already exceeded our limit; I'm kicking myself now for letting it go by. I was going to get it just because my son has a friend named Liam, but unfortunately this is my second, common-sense inflicted son, who pointed that out as a silly reason to buy yet another book.

I can only hope to see it again.

6/04/2011 10:58 PM  
Blogger web bligged...

I'm glad he wasn't along when I bought the Spanish edition of The Tatooed Potato and Other Clues in Chile. :-)

6/05/2011 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home